Using a migration agent in the Philippines from Australia

myRMA's Latest Australian Migration News

Using a migration agent in the Philippines from Australia


What is a migration agent?

A migration agent is a person who can:

Why shouldn’t I use an unregistered person? 

Unregistered people may:

  • be unaware of current legislation and procedures
  • provide incorrect advice
  • make false claims about your chances of success.

Unregistered people are breaking the law and penalties of up to 10 years jail can apply.
To report an unregistered person telephone 1800 009 623 (free of charge).
Information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence. 

Do I need to use a migration agent? 

No, you do not need to use a migration agent to prepare and lodge an application with the department.

However, if you do not feel confident lodging an application or if your case is complex, you may wish to use a registered migration agent. Choosing a registered migration agent Migration agents operating in Australia must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

What is the cost? 

There are no set fees for their services. Information on average fee ranges is available at MARA website 

Why use a registered migration agent? 

Registered migration agents are required to:

  • have a sound knowledge of migration law and practice
  • act professionally and in a timely manner
  • abide by the migration agent’s Code of Conduct
  • have appropriate insurance
  • pass character tests (including criminal history checks). 

If you have a problem with a registered agent, you can make a complaint to the Office of the MARA. 

About registered migration agents?

Registration and information about registered migration agents can be obtained at the

  • Office of the MARA or
  • Phone: 1300 22 62 72 or 02 9078 3552


November 14, 2015